Regarding re branded Fedora Remixes using Fedora community resources.

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Fri Oct 29 14:58:03 UTC 2010

On Thu, Oct 28, 2010 at 11:09:33AM +0000, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
> On 10/28/2010 06:40 AM, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> > On 10/22/2010 06:20 PM, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
> >> Should not those remixes be at least required to provide clear easy accessible and documentation on how those remixes deviate from Fedora?
> >> ( As is being done with the Omega remix [2][3] )
> >
> > Since I do the Omega remix, I can commit to any best practise
> > guidelines that Fedora Project might have or even help write those but
> > lets not get heavy handed.  We can only suggest but active enforcement
> > is not feasible or desirable IMO.   Afaik,  Fusion Linux doesn't
> > rebuild any Fedora packages and treating bugs from installation of
> > proprietary drivers etc can be handled just like how we handle it now,
> > when the user has done it manually.
> >

> I'm not quite sure how wize it is for a person that uses or atleast used
> [1] Fedora official channels to promote their own product over Fedora
> itself should be included in the writing of best practises/guidelines or
> having any saying in that matter in general unless of course the board
> approves and thus in a sense promotes such activities.

I have a definite answer for you.  It is quite wise.  People who use Fedora
to create remixes are also part of the Fedora community, both as Fedora
contributors and as Fedpra consumers.  They have a vested interest in seeing
these things done well and the practical experience in doing them.  To
exclude them from writing best practices will just prevent the effort from
succeeding.

-Toshio