2010-09-02 MEETING PROPOSAL: discussion on Annual User Survey

Jon Stanley jonstanley at gmail.com
Thu Sep 2 03:16:28 UTC 2010

On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 7:11 PM, Jon Masters <jonathan at jonmasters.org> wrote:

> Clearly, all surveys have an inherent bias to them, but we've had
> anthropological studies performed on Fedora in the past and there are
> known ways to make surveys less tainted. There are also independent
> pollsters available who could be contracted to do this if needed. I
> would hope that the Board would see value in gathering opinion on the
> state of update policy, intended user base, though this should not block
> current ongoing efforts to implement tighter controls on such things.

I've looked into this now for quite some time this evening - and found
that OpenSUSE has conducted a similar survey earlier this year.that
can be found at http://old-en.opensuse.org/UX/openSUSE_Survey_2010

Even throwing the exact same survey at our users would be interesting.
 There's obviously some stuff that might not apply, and other stuff
that would be more applicable.