2010-09-02 MEETING PROPOSAL: discussion on Annual User Survey

Jon Masters jonathan at jonmasters.org
Thu Sep 2 04:34:30 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-09-01 at 22:23 -0500, Mike McGrath wrote:
> On Wed, 1 Sep 2010, Jon Masters wrote:

> > > Correct me if I'm wrong, but I read what Jon was looking for as more
> > > of permission than a mandate of "you SHALL do this" - obviously he
> > > already wants to. I think we should give encouragement to this,
> > > because I think the data is extraordinarily valuable. Also, he
> > > mentioned that there are outside companies that could be contracted to
> > > do this - implying a financial cost. While the board has no finances
> > > as such to direct, we can certainly say to CommArch or more directly
> > > Fedora Engineering (as anyone else can) that we think this is a
> > > valuable use of money.
> > >
> > > Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong :)
> >
> > You are exactly right Jon. What I want from the Board is:
> >
> > 1). "We would like this done". That says I'm not acting alone and that
> > they agree with doing this. That makes it easier to get others to help
> > because they will see that this is helpful to the project as a whole.
> >
> > 2). The financial cost exists if the Board prefer to have it done
> > independently of the project, which should be considered, and is another
> > reason why I have asked that they discuss it.
> >
> > I gather this discussion will actually happen on Friday, not tomorrow.
> > The Board wiki page has had an incorrect meeting time for some time, but
> > (other) Jon just corrected it at my request. I am unable to attend on
> > Friday, even if there were a public IRC, since I will be driving to
> > upstate NY for a weddding. But don't let me gate the discussion. Have at
> > it, and let me know what is decided.
> >

> I'm all for this, I'd like to get someone that knows how to do these
> things, I suspect we don't have the inhouse expertise to create this sort
> of survey.

So, firstly, I knew about the SuSE survey I think. And I suspect
Canonical have done surveys, too (I can find out sometime). I suspect
Red Hat might have some expertise in this area, but we first need
support for doing it. Then we can go find out what resources we have to
make it happen. I'm quite sure we can figure something out.

Jon.