Fedora 20 (yes, F20).

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Mon Sep 13 21:39:38 UTC 2010

On Mon, Sep 13, 2010 at 12:59 PM, Bill Nottingham <notting at redhat.com> wrote:
> To properly attack this market, we may need to reorient
> around something like the proposed GNOME OS. Howver, with Android, and iOS,
> and Meego, this is a tightly competitive space.

Hey don't forget webOS! HP seems to have plans for it as an OEM.

It's more difficult than just being competitive from a functional pov.
The corporate backers for each of these software projects are engaged
directly with (or are acting as their own) OEMs as part of their
development process to make these operating systems foremost a
pre-installed solution.  If that's true, Fedora as a project is not
well positioned in the fight for pre-installed mindshare. Regardless
of technical merit or usability or any particular software platform,
if there isn't a corporate backer with a specific hardware device
product target in mind is there enough interest to sustain any of
these projects as a device agnostic OS?

Is there room for an after market replacement operating system in this
emerging device space at all? Will we really see Meego cross pollinate
onto pre-installed Android devices and vice-versa? Or are effectively
entering an era where are going to see operating systems cultivated
for distinct hardware gardens even though the new platforms are mostly
open source.

-jef