proposal to make free the logo of Fedora

Jon Masters jonathan at jonmasters.org
Fri Sep 17 14:42:53 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-09-15 at 17:21 +0200, René Mérou wrote:

> I understood something now that i did not knew before: The trademark is not in
> the hands and decision of the community.  Its in the hands of the enterprise.
> I'm not telling that's a bad thing or a good thing.  Its just i did not
> understood that before. In this situation i would propose the same of you, to
> create a new logo 100% free for the use of the community.

Let's make something clear, though. Even if the community makes a "free"
logo, it isn't going to be able to allow just any use of it, if it wants
that logo to have legal protection. You might think the legal protection
is not important, but Mo and others have pointed out abuses of the GNOME
logo that I think you might care about not happening to any Fedora logo.

If you don't protect the logo, there's nothing to prevent someone
creating a version of a totally different with the Fedora logo on it,
using it to undermine the project, or one of many other things.

Jon.