proposal to make free the logo of Fedora

inode0 inode0 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 17 18:52:33 UTC 2010

On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 1:22 PM, Jeff Spaleta <jspaleta at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 10:15 AM, inode0 <inode0 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Either way I'm not suggesting we shouldn't follow the advice of Red
>> Hat legal on this matter. I'm just a bit unclear about the boundary.
>> We seem to create under free licenses images that are intended to
>> represent the Fedora Project in various ways currently without to my
>> knowledge asking Red Hat legal to approve them. Is there something
>> about a "logo" that makes that process different?
>
> Let's be explicit. Give me two examples of existing image creation
> which you feel fall are meant to represent the Fedora Project that
> fall outside the existing trademark usage license language that covers
> the official wordmark and graphical logo?

Why are you asking me to give you such examples? I certainly did not
say there were any such images in violation of trademark guidelines.
The images I had in mind don't contain any marks. While not containing
any marks something like the four foundation cloverleaf still does get
rightfully associated with the Fedora Project.

Really, I just asked a simple question. Does the Fedora Board
representing the Fedora Project have the wherewithal to declare a
particular image (I assumed an image not containing any Red Hat owned
marks) a freely licensed Fedora Project logo.

John