proposal to make free the logo of Fedora

Matt Domsch matt at domsch.com
Fri Sep 17 19:25:47 UTC 2010

On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 1:52 PM, inode0 <inode0 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Really, I just asked a simple question. Does the Fedora Board
> representing the Fedora Project have the wherewithal to declare a
> particular image (I assumed an image not containing any Red Hat owned
> marks) a freely licensed Fedora Project logo.

I would think so.  There are no trademarks involved in this scenario.

However, getting such an image to 'stick' in people's minds, that's a
different question.  I doubt the cloverleaf means much outside of
Fedora circles today.  I'm pretty sure the Fedora logo itself means
little outside of Linux circles - I've never had someone comment on my
logo'd T-shirt or hat who didn't already know what it was.  If we
can't raise brand awareness for our primary trademark, can we really
do so for a second freely-customizable image?

Thanks,
Matt