proposal to make free the logo of Fedora

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Fri Sep 17 19:45:01 UTC 2010

On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 11:25 AM, Matt Domsch <matt at domsch.com> wrote:
> If we can't raise brand awareness for our primary trademark, can we really
> do so for a second freely-customizable image?

If a 3rd party co-opts the customizable image for their own product
(wholely unrelated to Fedora) then they could very well raise brand
awareness using the logo..but it won't necessarily be awareness of
_our_ brand.  It will be awareness of their brand. We'd no power to
stop them, and we'd only cause more confusion by continuing to make
use of the logo in an effort to make it stick as our brand.  This is a
situation where we through our own actions end up hurting our own
brand recognition.

-jef