proposal to make free the logo of Fedora

Máirín Duffy duffy at fedoraproject.org
Thu Sep 23 17:39:36 UTC 2010

Hi René,

On Thu, 2010-09-23 at 15:39 +0200, René Mérou wrote:
> Maybe the only result was to make bad feelings to the point to reject my last
> notes about it or maybe its possible to still write some ideas with no bad
> reaction.  (in fact I think is just because i used one other email.)

While I'm not a moderator on this list, I know Jared and Paul are and I
am confident they wouldn't have intentionally rejected your posting to
the list. Rather, we usually auto-reject posts coming from email
addresses that are not subscribed to our lists (this saves us from a lot
of span) so maybe you weren't subscribed or maybe it was a manual error.

> So I think ill put it here and if it can make any good, well.  If not, i did
> my best.

I very much appreciate your courage in coming here and bringing this
point out. The sad fact is the legal climate surrounding such things is
not very supportive of a libre culture, and where other projects have
tried to be more open & free, they have been hurt (as in the GNOME
examples I provided you.) This is a discussion we've had quite
frequently - it's not as if this hasn't come up before - and we have
pretty much decided collectively that the benefit is not worth the cost
to Fedora. Even if that wasn't our choice, the people on this list do
not own the trademark for Fedora and don't have the authority to make
such a decision (but we have no reason to go against the trademark
holder's wishes anyway.)

> I desire you all the best luck.

Same to you!

~m