Final draft of the Fedora Vision Statement, last chance to comment

Máirín Duffy duffy at fedoraproject.org
Wed Sep 29 04:12:36 UTC 2010

Hi Daniel,

On Tue, 2010-09-28 at 23:00 -0500, Daniel VanStone wrote:
> Is the comma needed?
>
> On Tue, 2010-09-28 at 22:05 -0500, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> > On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 07:00:13 -0400,
> >   "Jared K. Smith" <jsmith at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> > >
> > > "The Fedora Project creates a world in which free and open culture is
> > > both welcoming and pervasive, <!-- is there a comma needed --> collaboration and outreach are the norm,
> > > and people are empowered to control their own content and devices."

The sentence's meaning is actually changed if the comma is removed. The
intent was not to mention "pervasive collaboration," the intent was to
mention "pervasive free and open culture." Do you mean to propose the
meaning be changed to note "pervasive collaboration," or did you mean to
just mention a concern about the grammatical correctness of that
particular comma?

I think emphasizing free and open source culture as being pervasive is
optimal because free and open source culture is necessarily inclusive of
collaboration - the reverse isn't true as you can collaborate in a way
not aligned to free and open source culture.

In the interest of guiding feedback a little better, I think it's
probably most productive to focus on the content & meaning behind the
statement rather than grammar at this point.

~m