A proposal for your thoughts, as we plan future FUDCons...

Robyn Bergeron rbergero at redhat.com
Mon Apr 11 15:30:01 UTC 2011

On 04/11/2011 08:22 AM, Jaroslav Reznik wrote:
> On Monday, April 11, 2011 04:35:01 PM Matthias Kranz wrote:
>> On 04/11/2011 04:04 PM, Robyn Bergeron wrote:
>>> We still use the regional money for the 2012-2013 fiscal year by
>>> region, ie: 20k for bringing in folks from Europe, etc. I think we
>>> could bring in a BOATLOAD (or airplane-load, I suppose) of regional
>>> folks for that money.
>> 20k $US is *NOT* much money if you want to cover costs for traveling
>> back and forth from EMEA to NA.
>>
>> A regular flight starts at 500 $US but only if your stay includes the
>> night from Sat/Sun.
>>
>> For 20k $US you might be able to cover for 10 people, maybe 12.
> On the other hand, we can make smaller non-worldwide FUDCons. I really enjoy the
> local FUDCons - closer to users but from developers perspective - it's just
> useless activity (it works for local ambassadors but not for other people).
>
> I'd prefer to have smaller - one day local events (EMEA, APAC, LATAM, Africa
> maybe?) and one big worldwide (who says it has to be NA always??? yes, I know,
> budget but)...
How do smaller one-day local events differ from, say, a FAD (Fedora
Activity Day)? http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FAD

I know you've noted "regions" and I don't tend to think of regions as
"local" - maybe I am just not clear on what you're suggesting there.

I'll be honest - I'd really like to see more people actively organizing
FADs *anyway* - regardless of how FUDCons are organized. But it feels a
bit like we've dropped off there.

> Today I had 1:1 with our HR how to bring more people to NA FUDCon as a
> benefit/motivation :)
I like. :)