Proposal for new trademark approval policy

Christoph Wickert christoph.wickert at googlemail.com
Sun Apr 17 12:17:29 UTC 2011

While I do think this proposal is a step into the right direction, I
still have some questions and concerns.

Dienstag, den 12.04.2011, 11:11 -0600 schrieb Stephen John Smoogen:
> 0) The Board will appoint SIG's that they think are appropriate for
> various trademark approvals.

Only once or per-spin?

> 1) Each appointed SIG should create a checklist or SOP for Item approval

What does "Item" mean in this context? Is it the spin or the trademark?

> 2) When an appointed SIG gives its approval for a Item, it should do
> so in a public and transparent manner. The SIG can decide the exact
> manner of approval but who and where the approval is granted should be
> specified in the SOP.

Would the current spins process meet this description?

> 3) Once approvals from appointed SIGS are done, the Item will be
> submitted to the Board (via a ticket) for trademark approval.

As far as I understood the current process, this is step one. Before we
request trademark approval from the board, the spin was already ratified
by the spins SIG, the design team already approved the artwork and so
on.

And isn't using the ticket system a bit overkill? Say we have 20 items
to check by 10 different SIGs, this means we have 20 tickets, right?
With the current privacy level of the board's trac, we cannot have a
ticket where all SIGs comment on.

> 4) The Board can appoint a specific SIG to keep track of "trademarked"
> Items and that SIG will set schedules and/or reasons for re-approval

Spins are already approved per release only and need re-approval.

> 5) The Board will be the final arbitrator in disputes between various
> SIGs or perceived problems of process.

+1

As I said this proposal is a step into the right direction, however I'm
afraid it duplicates processes and governance that is already handled on
a SIG level. I'm a big fan of the KISS principle.

SIGs cannot approve the trademark usage, they can only approve what is
in their scope and then give green light. Once there is positive
feedback from all parties it is on the board to grant the trademark
usage. This is what has worked fine in the past until it suddenly and or
no apparent reason became very complicated on the board level.

Regards,
Christoph