New trademark approval policy

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Fri Aug 5 19:05:02 UTC 2011

On Aug 5, 2011, at 11:41 AM, Richard Fontana wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 05, 2011 at 11:27:48AM -0700, Jesse Keating wrote:
>> Let's re-use the Porche thing again.
>>
>> You can go to a Porche dealership and order what they have on the lot, or you can have them install genuine Porche accessories at the dealership, or at the factory.  This is all well and good.  Where this breaks down is if you buy a Porche, buy some genuine parts from the factory and install them yourself, and now try to sell the car as a genuine new Porche.  It's a car, it has Porche parts on it, but was the install done right?  Did all the guidelines and directions get followed correctly?
>>
>> This is more in line with Fedora creating a virt image and a 3rd party creating a virt image.  The creation involves taking what we ship and $DOING_STUFF with it.  That stuff can make a difference to the end user experience, and I think that's the concern here.  Is the STUFF being done in an acceptable way to Fedora the project?  Are we comfortable letting random folks DO_STUFF to our offering and still call it Fedora?
>
> Is this concern limited in some interesting way to the
> creation-of-virt-image scenario, or does it also apply equally to the
> scenario of some OEM preloading physical machines with Fedora? (I
> would have assumed the latter since the OEM can also DO_STUFF.)
>
> - RF

The Latter.  In a previous job I was an OEM integrator, and I had to DO_STUFF to get Fedora on the system.  There were no guidelines, and in fact I may have been breaking trademark to advertise the pre-install as "Fedora".  Certainly I was when we had to add 3rd party drivers or wanted to put our own background in place and have support contact information on the desktop.  We made sure to ship the pristine Fedora media and then a second piece of media that held our customizations and a script the user could run to get those back in place on top of a clean install.

It's a grey or just bad area for pre loaders who want both the name recognition of Fedora on the system, but also want to have some things extra for the customer.

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom² is a feature!