Questions for legal about updating trademark guidelines

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Tue Aug 9 15:49:48 UTC 2011

On Fri, Aug 05, 2011 at 08:45:48PM +0100, Peter Robinson wrote:
> I've thought about this a bit since the meeting and I was wondering whether a
> process similar to third parties wanting to use the Fedora name in their URL
> might be appropriate. Its obviously not exact the same but its a similar style
> of issue. Hosting organisations like amazon (I work for a hosting provider that
> does cloud stuff and we deal with this) have to do licensing processes for
> various other OSes so I wouldn't have thought it would be a major problem or
> change of process for them. Max might be able to comment on that though. We
> could put some simple guidelines in place that wouldn't have to be repeated for
> each release so they basically agree not to modify etc and it would protect and
> enforce the trademark. spot might be able to comment on the process and whether
> something similar might be an appropriate compromise between the spins process
> and nothing at all.

So I see these two things which may be what you're talking about:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Local_community_domains#Pre-purchased_domain
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Legal:Trademark_guidelines#Noncommercial_and_community_web_sites

The first link seems to boil down to the Board will use a rapid process to
verify that the trademark guidelines are being followed and then ask "Can
the community set up this domain?"  In most cases, it's expected the Board
will answer "Yes".

The second link could be applied to third parties producing images although
it would need heavy adaptation.

-Toshio