Criteria for Escalation of a Secondary Arch to Primary Arch

David Nalley david at gnsa.us
Tue Feb 1 17:08:10 UTC 2011

On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 8:58 AM, Chris Tyler <chris at tylers.info> wrote:
> Greetings!
>
> I would like to ask the board (in consultation with FESCo as
> appropriate) for to develop guidelines for the escalation of a secondary
> arch to primary arch status. Obviously, there have been situations where
> demotion from primary to secondary has occurred, and at this time there
> are no secondary archs in a position to be escalated to primary arch
> status, but it would be useful to know what criteria would be used to
> evaluate such a proposal.
>
> I recommend that some combination of...
> - maturity/completeness of the secondary arch effort,
> - installed user base,
> - current hardware availability,
> - downstream interest, and
> - preparedness of infra to handle the arch
> ...be utilized as the criteria.
>
> Thank you for considering this request--
>
> -Chris

Hi Chris:

I can't imagine this being a board issue. If it were sent to the board
for some decision, I think our response would be to go to fesco,
infra, releng, qa, etc and ask a lot of questions, which really (in my
mind at least) means that those groups should be setting the criteria,
(probably with fesco leading the charge there) since they are the
actual people/groups that have to do work based on this.

Thanks,

David