Trademark approval for publishing books about Fedora

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Mon Feb 28 21:26:35 UTC 2011

On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 05:40:39PM -0300, Igor Pires Soares wrote:
> Hello!
>
> A Fedora user from Brazil wants to know if it is necessary to get a
> trademark approval for publishing a book about Fedora.
>
> I have seen a lot of books about Fedora and RHEL on book stores but
> never got such a question. Is there any guidelines for that?

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Legal/TrademarkGuidelines#Publications

AIUI, it's OK to use the name Fedora in a title such as "How to Use
Fedora <N>", as long as the book doesn't imply it's sponsored or
endorsed by the Fedora Project or Red Hat.  The book must include the
proper trademark attribution statement (there's a helpful link at that
URL above).  Screenshots in the book are also OK, including, for
example, one that shows the Fedora trademarks from the main menu.

Questions like this should generally go to either legal at fp.o or the

I'll cc the legal list and set followups to go there, in case anyone
wants to clarify the above guidelines.