fedora-it community site on Ubuntu server

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Mon Jan 10 16:45:14 UTC 2011

On 01/10/2011 05:27 PM, seth vidal wrote:
> On Mon, 2011-01-10 at 17:21 +0100, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
>>> We do this because the lifecycle of Fedora is not compatible with
>>> providing and maintaining a long life hosting infrastructure. Does that
>>> mean that Fedora is not an ideal platform for server deployments lasting
>>> longer than a year and a half? Yes, in my humble opinion.
>>
>> You are expecting users to live with this life-cycle (on servers and
>> clients), so you telling us that Fedora is unsuitable for Fedora's own
>> servers seems rather poor to me.
>
> We want to provide stability, which does not mean constantly upgrading
> the server's base os.
But you are expecting Fedora's users to do so?

>>> Don't get me wrong, the lifecycle of Fedora is great for many things,
>>> but the lifecycle of RHEL is far more appropriate for our hosting and
>>> infrastructure needs.
>> Don't get me wrong - Fedora's life-cycle works very well, even on servers.
>
> Doesn't work for me and never really has.
It works for me - *on servers and clients*.

That said, to me the real issues with Fedora on servers is not the
life-cycle. It's Fedora silently having been converted into a (mostly
single-user) desktop OS, with many of its key components not being
suitable for server usage.

Ralf