[Off-Topic] RHEL (was Re: fedora-it community site on Ubuntu server)

Christoph Wickert christoph.wickert at googlemail.com
Mon Jan 10 16:57:33 UTC 2011

Am Montag, den 10.01.2011, 17:51 +0100 schrieb Matthias Kranz:
> On 01/10/2011 05:45 PM, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> > It works for me - *on servers and clients*.
> >
> > That said, to me the real issues with Fedora on servers is not the
> > life-cycle. It's Fedora silently having been converted into a (mostly
> > single-user) desktop OS, with many of its key components not being
> > suitable for server usage.
>
> Which components or functionality do you exactly mean? I am really
> wondering because Red Hat Enterprise Linux, the most successful
> Enterprise Linux distribution for servers in the market for years, is
> based on Fedora. So, apparently you expect something from Fedora which
> almost no one else is expecting?!

NetworkManager is a typical case of desktop usage. It doesn't so
brigding, binding, trunking and all the things you need for a server.
Even worse: Do a minimal install of RHEL6 and you are left without
network after install because NetworkManager was not installed and the
old networking stack is not enabled. Yay!

Regards,
Christoph