[Off-Topic] RHEL (was Re: fedora-it community site on Ubuntu server)

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Tue Jan 11 07:20:26 UTC 2011

On 01/10/2011 05:57 PM, Christoph Wickert wrote:
> Am Montag, den 10.01.2011, 17:51 +0100 schrieb Matthias Kranz:
>> On 01/10/2011 05:45 PM, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
>>> It works for me - *on servers and clients*.
>>>
>>> That said, to me the real issues with Fedora on servers is not the
>>> life-cycle. It's Fedora silently having been converted into a (mostly
>>> single-user) desktop OS, with many of its key components not being
>>> suitable for server usage.
>>
>> Which components or functionality do you exactly mean?

Many of those packages marketed as "novelty" in Fedora ;)

> NetworkManager is a typical case of desktop usage.

Exactly ... it's the #1 annoyance.

Other similar, but not as annoying cases: ABRT, PolicyKit, PackageKit,
gnome-mount, ... general package bloat.

Or differently:
  Try running/maintaining Fedora on a headless machine from remote in
runlevel 3 and monitor what all "works" and "what doesn't".
  Also try to slim down a Fedora installation to "what you actually" need.

Ralf