Remaining issues for the multi desktop DVD (was: Re: Dear Fedora board, please open your trac)

Jon Stanley jonstanley at gmail.com
Wed Jan 12 02:34:11 UTC 2011

On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 6:26 PM, Christoph Wickert
<christoph.wickert at googlemail.com> wrote:

> I hereby request the board (again) to give me a list of open issues with
> the multi-desktop DVD so I can finally start working on them. I will
> document everything on a wiki page and keep it updated once I've got
> that list from the board.

One of the things that we had mentioned in the meeting is what is the
mechanism of choosing between the different DE's? I really think that
a syslinux menu is epic fail. Think of a user new to Fedora - "Ubuntu
(or pick other distro) doesn't make me make these selections that I
have no idea what they are!". I do realize that the target audience
for this is people who attend Linux shows (and *may* have the
wherewithal to make an appropriate choice), but you have to assume
that Joe that attended the show and got this cool DVD will pass it on
to Grandma since he liked it so much.

I think the choice needs to be presented in GDM, with some opportunity
to get help with it.

Note that in no way am I saying that this is not a good idea, simply
the implementation could use work, and that implementation reflects
(for better or worse) on the Fedora brand.

$0.02
-Jon