Remaining issues for the multi desktop DVD (was: Re: Dear Fedora board, please open your trac)

Jaroslav Reznik jreznik at redhat.com
Wed Jan 12 09:52:19 UTC 2011

On Wednesday, January 12, 2011 03:34:11 am Jon Stanley wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 6:26 PM, Christoph Wickert
>
> <christoph.wickert at googlemail.com> wrote:
> > I hereby request the board (again) to give me a list of open issues with
> > the multi-desktop DVD so I can finally start working on them. I will
> > document everything on a wiki page and keep it updated once I've got
> > that list from the board.
>
> One of the things that we had mentioned in the meeting is what is the
> mechanism of choosing between the different DE's? I really think that
> a syslinux menu is epic fail. Think of a user new to Fedora - "Ubuntu
> (or pick other distro) doesn't make me make these selections that I
> have no idea what they are!". I do realize that the target audience
> for this is people who attend Linux shows (and *may* have the
> wherewithal to make an appropriate choice), but you have to assume
> that Joe that attended the show and got this cool DVD will pass it on
> to Grandma since he liked it so much.
>
> I think the choice needs to be presented in GDM, with some opportunity
> to get help with it.
>
> Note that in no way am I saying that this is not a good idea, simply
> the implementation could use work, and that implementation reflects
> (for better or worse) on the Fedora brand.

The question number one is (sorry if I missed it!) - what's the purpose of this
multi spin DVD?

1. Is it master medium for ambassadors so they can prepare for example live USB
flash disks? They can easily share spins?

Then the answer is easy - syslinux boot menu is ok - we don't want to touch
spins as it's master image to create user the final end user experience based on
this multi dvd spins isos.

2. Or is it going to be more end user product?
Then we need more work there - syslinux is definitely NOT the solution. Even GDM
is not.

What's my idea?
Let's boot first to plain session - similar as firstboot and let users select
there with some guidance, introduction what's Fedora, what are spins for etc.
For example rich, QML based UI...
So we can use it as marketing DVD too and then let users boot/install it. This
is most tricky task. And a lot of work (but probably the same amount as for use
GDM chooser). But this just technical detail (for now, maybe it is impossible to
do it correctly).

But action item number one - 1 or 2?

Jaroslav

my 1 Czech Crown (approx $0.0531) ;-)