The future of optical media within the project.

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at gmail.com
Wed Jan 12 20:08:25 UTC 2011

Discussion tracker for thread. . .

pros

* Multilangue

* More applications
** Target reasonable prize/size usb flash drive 1G perhaps?

* Reusable
** Enviromental friendlier?
** Left over swag flash drive could be reused for next event and also
potentially save money for the project?

* Less footpring on servers ( if we drop all CD/DVD images ca 6.6G - $N
of *DE if we push all that's 4x1G = ca 2.2G less on mirror space )

Con

* Loosing all machines which don't have a CD/DVD reader and which can't
boot from USB.
** Hardware pre 2005?
** Do current Hardware requirements support that old hardware anyway?

Additiona notes

* Keep CD ROM  size netinst.iso alive
**We could target smaller usb flash drives with that image as 256 which
also fits regular CD?
( We could official drop all optical media thou you would still be able
to fit netinst.iso on a regular CD )

* Any particular reason if/when we take this step to keep producing the
DVD image?

JBG