Remaining issues for the multi desktop DVD

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Wed Jan 12 21:33:18 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 14:16, David Riches <david.r at ultracar.co.uk> wrote:
> On 12 Jan 2011, at 21:04, "Jesse Keating"<jkeating at redhat.com> wrote:
>
>> On 1/12/11 12:46 PM, Christoph Wickert wrote:
>>> It is meant for distribution, so I thin 2 is the correct answer.
>>> However
>>> the menu is not syslinux but GRUB and looks exactly like the other
>>> live
>>> media or installed systems but with other menu entries.
>>
>> You're using grub on CD media?  We tried that once before and it ended
>> horribly, a lot of systems were not able to boot properly.  There is a
>> reason we have stuck with syslinux for our isos and grub only for
>> installed hardware.
>>
> Purely out of curiosity (and my involvement in multiboot-media-
> creator) any chance of specifics where the box would not boot from the
> cd with grub, but would when it was installed?
>
> Our testing with mmc hasn't shown this behavior is all, so I would
> appreciate more info
>
> Thanks in advance

Most issues I have seen with this are usually BIOS issues that may or
may not ever get fixed. Various BIOSes play all kinds of games to boot
a cdrom, usb, etc by making it a virtual floppy. They then play
further tricks when doing chain booting and such.

In dealing with chain booting ISO's I know I have worked with projects
that did it for EL3/4/5 dvds. Depending on the hardware they would be
able to get to some of the ISOS but not all of them. [You would boot
and it would just hang.. ] Some would get fixed with BIOS updates..
some would not. Some would work doing it from USB keys, some would
not. Most would be the same hardware manufacturer and "model" but
different runs.

However this is old data from 2008 at the latest. I would expect this
to be less cutting edge and probably much more supported.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.
battle." -- Ian MacLaren