Remaining issues for the multi desktop DVD

David Riches david.r at ultracar.co.uk
Wed Jan 12 22:32:11 UTC 2011

_____

From: Richard Shaw [mailto:hobbes1069 at gmail.com]
To: Fedora community advisory board [mailto:advisory-board at lists.fedoraproject.org]
Sent: Wed, 12 Jan 2011 22:26:22 +0000
Subject: Re: Remaining issues for the multi desktop DVD

On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 3:36 PM, Jesse Keating <jkeating at redhat.com> wrote:
  > On 1/12/11 1:16 PM, David Riches wrote:
  >> Purely out of curiosity (and my involvement in multiboot-media-
  >> creator) any chance of specifics where the box would not boot from the
  >> cd with grub, but would when it was installed?
  >>
  >> Our testing with mmc hasn't shown this behavior is all, so I would
  >> appreciate more info
  >>
  >> Thanks in advance
  >
  > Hrm, apparently my memory is failing me.  Nobody else remembers doing
  > the grub on a CD test way back when, but they all seem to indicate that
  > it is a bad idea with grub(1), and grub2 is just too untested.

  I don't think chainloading an ISO from GRUB 1 is possible. I tried
  this with System Rescue CD with the ISO copied into /boot but because
  GRUB uses Interrupt 13h it can't be used for the virtual CD. I ended
  up having to copy the kernel/initrd and image from the CD and booting
  it the more traditional way.Correct, you cannot chainload the iso. Moreover you grab the important parts of the livecd (kernel,initrd, LiveOS/ ) and boot them

  My memory is a little hazy at this point but it's something like that.

  I'm not sure if GRUB2 has the same limitation.Kind of, grub2 can loopmount an ISO, but it doesn't really grok iso's in the way that you might expect. If you loopmount and boot a liveos, the system cannot escape the loopmount and gain access to the HDD, so liveinst becomes dead. A similar thing happens with the dvd images, except it happens earlier in the process.

The trick is to "steal" the kernel, initrd and boot them. in the case of the LiveOSes you then point the kernel root argument to the directory "LiveOS/" in a similar way that isolinux does on the actual release.

  Richard