Remaining issues for the multi desktop DVD

inode0 inode0 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 12 23:38:07 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 5:18 PM, Jared K. Smith
<jsmith at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 5:43 PM, David Riches <david.r at ultracar.co.uk> wrote:
>> afaik, isolinux can do the same job that grub is currently doing, because
>> its not attempting to chainload the isos. I'm happy to test it tomorrow
>> though.
>
> Please try that -- I think that would make several of us more
> comfortable, both from a "failure to boot" and an "easier to make look
> good" perspective.

Just for a point of reference I have made a multi-boot CD using grub
for years that is widely used where I work and I've not once received
a report of it failing to boot any machine. While obviously the Fedora
universe is larger than my universe I don't think grub is *that*
fragile. I think in the old days stage2 of grub depended on emulating
a floppy or hard drive which caused a lot of problems and that is no
longer true (although there may still be problems of other sorts).

John