Remaining issues for the multi desktop DVD

inode0 inode0 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 13 00:01:56 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 5:39 PM, Jesse Keating <jkeating at redhat.com> wrote:
> On 1/12/11 3:38 PM, inode0 wrote:
>> Just for a point of reference I have made a multi-boot CD using grub
>> for years that is widely used where I work and I've not once received
>> a report of it failing to boot any machine. While obviously the Fedora
>> universe is larger than my universe I don't think grub is *that*
>> fragile. I think in the old days stage2 of grub depended on emulating
>> a floppy or hard drive which caused a lot of problems and that is no
>> longer true (although there may still be problems of other sorts).
>
> Is this grub1 or grub2?  I'm not claiming that grub2 is fragile, just
> that it is untested in our universe.  We don't really do costly
> production and high profile handouts with something that is untested.

Just to be clear I was just giving my related experience and I'm not
advocating that this use grub, that makes no difference to me
whatsoever and I'm certainly not going to advocate treating this any
differently than we treat anything else with respect to QA and
testing. I'm reluctant to use this for F14 media and don't think that
is necessary. The reason EMEA is without media for F14 isn't related
to this effort and the normal media can be purchased when things get
sorted out there.

John