The future of optical media within the project.

Igor Pires Soares igorsoares at gmail.com
Thu Jan 13 03:26:59 UTC 2011

Em Qua, 2011-01-12 às 21:03 -0500, David Nalley escreveu:
> Virtually all of the decisions (except what the finished media
> contains, and the artwork on the media) is made by the Ambassadors in
> each region. Some regions, like LATAM have a machine for burning CDs
> and then labeling them with pre-printed labels. NA and EMEA have discs
> pressed (and for instance, EMEA decided to have LXDE LiveCDs made in
> addition to the Gnome LiveCDs a release or two back).
>
> If you want something to come of this, those are the people you should
> be talking with, and I think you'll find that those people are
> re-evaluating the viability of using USB drives every release. If I
> recall their last evaluation correctly, the cheapest USB drive we
> could get in mass quantities was still almost 20x the cost of CDs.

This is a good point. In some regions USB drives are a lot more
expensive than CDs. Even if you think about DVDs, they are still more
expensive than CDs. The difference per unity is not big but makes a
reasonable difference on mass production. Additionally, CDs can be
recorded and printed faster.

I believe that LiveCDs are still valuable for us. I know that this is
hard to conceive in some parts of the world but in Latin America and
probably also in Africa CDs are a common media. Certainly this will
change in the near future, so I have nothing against creating both a
LiveDVD and a LiveCD for a "transition" period. Of course this will give
more work to rel-eng and QA.

--
Igor Pires Soares
Fedora Ambassador (Brazil) - Member of FAmSCo