The future of optical media within the project.

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at gmail.com
Thu Jan 13 10:42:04 UTC 2011

On 01/13/2011 02:05 AM, Jesse Keating wrote:
> We're not taking away DVD sized images...

Correct what I'm proposing is that we drop the CD sized images (
excluding netinst.iso ) and focus on creating a ca 1G size images (
Targetting on 1G usb flash drive size ) instead so the *DE can deliver a
more application richer out of the box end user experience.

I'm even going out for a limb here and propose that we drop the releng
DVD iso when we make this move.

However I'm not suggest that it will necessary be done this release but
just that we have a concrete plan on when it be done so everybody knows
that when we reach X release cycle we will be either moving the
*Default* or *increasing the maximum allowed size for a* iso up 1G which
various *DE or other spin group within the community may or may not take
advantage upon.

Jesse could you explain a bit what group of users releng is targeting
with that iso?

What would be the reason continuing composing it if we move to 1G images
instead?

JBG