Remaining issues for the multi desktop DVD (was: Re: Dear Fedora board, please open your trac)

Christoph Wickert christoph.wickert at googlemail.com
Thu Jan 13 12:27:37 UTC 2011

Am Donnerstag, den 13.01.2011, 10:41 +0100 schrieb Jaroslav Reznik:
> On Wednesday, January 12, 2011 07:08:17 pm Christoph Wickert wrote:
> > > How does it provide a hassle at every boot? I'm confused here. What I
> > > think would be a hassle is having to reboot just to try out a different
> > > desktop.... with a GDM-controlled selection you could simply log out of
> > > one and log back in, no reboot required.
> >
> >       * With a GDM you dont get the full experience of the Spin/Desktop.
> >         People need to see KDM for KDE and LXDM for LXDE. Oherwise they
> >         don't get what they install, which would be a violation of the
> >         spins guidelines.
> >       * We don't have a way to install the different spins if everything
> >         is one media.
> >       * Even if we had the technology to do this, we would need to do QA
> >         all over again.
> >       * This QA would then not cover all test cases. One desktop test
> >         case for example is that the display manager works and unlocks
> >         the keyrings automatically (if applicable).
> >       * If we don't provide the original ISOs, people cannot burn CDs or
> >         create USB keys from the media.
>
> I don't think it's a big issue - yes, GDM is visually a little bit plain as
> we're trying to have a nice and Fedora artwork matching theme. But as I say -
> it's not a big issue.

unfortunately the desktop SIG is no longer interested in using a Fedora
themed artwork but GNOME upstream one.

Apart from the visible difference there are also techical limitations,
e.g shutting down the computer from within KDE or fast user switching
(opening a 2nd session) do not work.

Regards,
Christoph