Remaining issues for the multi desktop DVD (was: Re: Dear Fedora board, please open your trac)

Christoph Wickert christoph.wickert at googlemail.com
Thu Jan 13 17:35:49 UTC 2011

Am Donnerstag, den 13.01.2011, 14:36 +0000 schrieb Adam Williamson:
> On Wed, 2011-01-12 at 09:51 -0600, inode0 wrote:
>
> > The reaction I would like to see from the board is one based on its
> > trust that these people probably know what they are talking about. How
> > can the board help them make it happen? Three areas have been
> > identified: releng, QA, and design. Whatever issues need to be
> > resolved in these three areas may or may not need the board's
> > involvement, but I think it is clear that encouragement from the board
> > to get this done would help get it done.
>
> >From a QA angle, I can't see this project adding much pain. As it's
> essentially just a pretty thin wrapper around the existing live images
> which we already test, additional testing required for this combined
> image would be very minimal.
>
> If any of the pie-in-the-sky proposals to make it some kind of big
> single image with all the desktops installed together and GDM to choose
> between them, or something like that, happened, then that would be a
> *much* more significant QA burden.

Well said, Adam,

just what I thought. With the GDM approach we'd need new test cases and
some other ones like login manager should unlock default keyring could
not be run, at least we don't have the same thing that we have after
installation.

I'm not saying that the GDM approach is bad, My focus is on what we have
available now instead what could be in F15 or F16 timeframe. The EMEA
ambassadors still want to have the multi-desktop DVD during the F14
cycle.

Regards,
Christoph