The future of optical media within the project.

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at
Thu Jan 13 17:47:18 UTC 2011

On 01/13/2011 04:52 PM, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Jan 2011 10:42:04 +0000
> "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson"<johannbg at>  wrote:
>> On 01/13/2011 02:05 AM, Jesse Keating wrote:
>>> We're not taking away DVD sized images...
>> Correct what I'm proposing is that we drop the CD sized images (
>> excluding netinst.iso ) and focus on creating a ca 1G size images (
>> Targetting on 1G usb flash drive size ) instead so the *DE can
>> deliver a more application richer out of the box end user experience.
> I don't think the Xfce sig has any plans to move to the higher size.
> Would you forbid us from making the Xfce spin stay at cd sized?


Why should it be forbidden and when did I ever say that?

> Have you talked with the Desktop sig on their plans? They started to
> move to a 1GB image a while back, then reverted it. I see no reason to
> force a decision on them... why not let them decide what size is best
> for their offering?
>> I'm even going out for a limb here and propose that we drop the
>> releng DVD iso when we make this move.
> How will people do upgrades? All preupgrade/yum upgrades?

If people are force to use the DVD for upgrade cases then something is 
seriously wrong

I personally dont advocate the use of preupgrade but rather advises 
users to keep seperated /home it just subscribing to headache if the 
upgrade fails

If we official support "upgrading" then I would expect that. . . .

A) being able to upgrade from cli via yum upgrade/preugrade
B) from the DE enviroment I was in via some application 
C) Do it from Live media
D) Do it from the Installer

And I know for a fact that the only thing that gets tested at QA is 
preupgrade itself not various upgrade paths for example from a various 
Live media  minimal install and a full blown everything install etc..

> How will people do installs with different needs than the live media
> provides? netinstall?

If the live media and the installer could coexist on the iso image they 
would have to do minimal install and continue from there that is if no 
*DE image is not good enough for them.

> One final question here... why is this going to the Board?
> Isn't this a more technical detail that would be suited for FESCo to
> decide? (after all, they decided to drop split cd install media, should
> the Board decide that instead).

Good point I'll gather the feed back here and open a ticket with FESCO


Ps. Should not FESCO decide the Multi Desktop DVD then as well?

More information about the advisory-board mailing list