Remaining issues for the multi desktop DVD

Christoph Wickert christoph.wickert at googlemail.com
Thu Jan 13 19:55:10 UTC 2011

Am Donnerstag, den 13.01.2011, 10:25 -0500 schrieb Máirín Duffy:
> On Thu, 2011-01-13 at 15:16 +0000, Adam Williamson wrote:
> > No, we're talking about tracking the Board's discussion of whether to
> > accept the multidesktop spin. That's one issue, which would be perfectly
> > suited to being tracked in trac...if the people *proposing* the
> > multidesktop project could access the ticket.
>
> There's more than one issue come up in that discussion and it involves
> work items for folks working on multidesktop.

Such as?

The question of the bootloader has come up. There was a lot of confusion
based on false/lack of information, the only important technical point
that was brought up is that Jesse said that the multiboot-media-creator
is better of with syslinux for optical media. This is something that
needs to be addressed on a technical level but not on a meta-discussion
on the board list. The right place to tackle this down is a ticket in
m-m-c trac.

> > All the various issues involved in implementing the multidesktop spin
> > which are being discussed (I think incorrectly and counter-productively)
> > here could be tracked as separate tickets, either in trac or Bugzilla,
> > depending on the preferences of the multidesktop developers. But those
> > aren't Board issues, so it's not a problem, because they wouldn't need
> > to go into the Board trac.
>
> Okay so as a board member who has issues she would like to see resolved
> before the spin is approved, where do I file my issues? This mailing
> list certainly isn't effective but I have no idea where else to report
> them.

You would note then in the ticket and I as the requester would take care
of bringing them back to the folks who need to do the actual work, say
the ambassadors or the m-m-c developers. Once the issue is solved, I get
back to you and ask you if you are happy with the outcome.

> > As I said, what we need a system for keeping track of is the process of
> > the Board approving (or otherwise) the project. This is the sort of
> > thing the Board uses its trac instance for anyway, right?
>
> Sure, but it'd be awful redundant for the board to say, resolve these 6
> issues... then each of those 6 issues is a separate issue in another
> trac instance. A lot of manual copying back and forth no?

Not for you but for the people who need to deal with the issues. You
should not need to worry about implementation details but only about the
approval. Everything else is not the board's business I think. And if
you are still unhappy with the way the people are dealing with your
concerns, you can speak up in trac or bugzilla.

This is actually easier than on the mailing lists: You cannot post to
ambassadors list while I cannot post to the design list, but we both can
file tickets in both directions.

Regards,
Christoph