multi-desktop DVD criteria

inode0 inode0 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 16 16:27:36 UTC 2011

On Sun, Jan 16, 2011 at 9:58 AM, Richard Shaw <hobbes1069 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 15, 2011 at 6:43 PM, Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:
>> For what it's worth, I've met Christoph personally, worked with him on
>> numerous projects, and found him to be entirely the opposite of
>> poisonous. I think your email was rude and supremely unhelpful.
>
> As a lurker on this thread and a semi-long time Fedora user (FC 6) I
> just wanted to add my $0.02 that will hopefully provide some
> perspective from a 3rd person point of view.
>
> I'm not sure how much of it is English as a second language and how
> much is intentional but the overall gist I get is he is someone who is
> EXTREMELY frustrated by:
>
> - the lack of progress on this project (if it can be called that at this point)
> - the lack of specific requirements
> - the double standard (w/ other spins) used when he actually get's
> specific requirements
> - More people putting up road blocks instead of being helpful in
> trying to remove them.
>
> I'm don't have a lot of knowledge on the inner workings of the Fedora
> project but as a project engineer (medical device manufacturing, not
> that it matters) I can tell that this process has been very
> dysfunctional thus far.
>
> While it is not an absolute requirement to provide a solution along
> with stating a problem/road block, it would be very helpful.
>
> Not everyone puts their puts their position/title w/ Fedora in their
> signatures so I'm not sure who would be the right person, but what I
> think Christoph needs right now is a champion within the Fedora
> hierarchy to help move this project along.
>
> Anyone willing to volunteer?
>
> I think this is a great idea that would be very helpful at the next
> Installfest w/ my local LUG to let people test drive the various DE's.

Hi Richard,

Thanks for sharing your perspective which I think is 100% spot on. My
characterization is slightly different, but we fundamentally see this
the same way I think. Christoph is the champion. He is the one doing
what a champion does, he has a vision of something better and he is
relentlessly pursuing it. I admire him greatly for doing this.

The process is failing in that we seem to be lacking someone capable
of being an effective catalyst, someone who really understands the
point of the work Christoph is championing and who can connect the
dots with other relevant parties within the project to move it forward
without a big demotivating public fuss. With such a catalyst there
would be no need for the board to even be involved until there was a
finished product for them to look at.

John