Fedora Board Recap 07-06-2011

Matt Clark mathezula at gmail.com
Fri Jul 8 05:36:26 UTC 2011

No, there's no such thing as an implicit license. A work is implicitly *
copyrighted* the moment it is written, and, by default, no one has a legal
"right" (differentiate from permission) to redistribute it, or produce
derived works from it (of course, the author might not mind, but that's
another matter entirely). In other words, lack of license is roughly the
same as "look but don't touch" license.

If something is "unlicensed but copyrighted" unless specified (as all
unlicensed material is as soon as it is written) then it is up to the
kindness of the author.  I wish it were simpler, too.