Fedora website, Red Hat, copyright notices and FPCA

Richard Fontana rfontana at redhat.com
Wed Jun 29 02:16:30 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 01:38:13AM +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> My emails to a mailing list shouldn't be treated as a "contribution"
> under the terms of FPCA.   I didn't sign the FPCA so that one could
> relicense my emails and distort it as they see fit under CC-BY-SA and
> GPL or whatever.    This is a problem with a catch all license
> agreement.

I admit that whether the FPCA can be read to govern emails (that is,
the substantive text of the message, to the extent it's copyrightable)
to a Fedora mailing list as a 'Contribution' is unclear under the
FPCA. It was also unclear under the Fedora CLA, though a little less
unclear. There are multiple ways to clarify this issue if people are
concerned.

No one brought this issue up in what I recall were at least a few
months of public availability of the FPCA draft along with a public
request for comments.

Just out of curiosity, what terms do you see as applying to your
emails to Fedora mailing lists? I think if anything the appropriate
default 'license' would be CC0, apart from any attachment like a
patch or whatever (i.e. something closer to the intuitive notion of a
Fedora contribution).

- RF