Fedora website, Red Hat, copyright notices and FPCA

Luis Villa luis at tieguy.org
Wed Jun 29 21:01:41 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 1:48 PM, Rahul Sundaram <metherid at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 06/29/2011 09:39 PM, Richard Fontana wrote:
>> Just my opinion: This is probably not practical. Non-explicit
>> licensing is a deeply embedded practice in free software development
>> culture and may even be essential to its efficient operation in many
>> cases.
>
> Other distributions seems to get along just fine without a FPCA type
> agreement.

The Titanic was getting along just fine until it hit that iceberg too.

Not that I'm necessarily in favor or opposed to the FPCA, and I've in
fact complained here about the barriers to contributing in the past,
but this sort of shallow, uncritical "everyone else is getting along
just fine" argument really has no place in a discussion of legal
burdens. There must be more nuanced, difficult discussion of the risks
and costs involved.

Luis