Looking for feedback on Fedora Code of Conduct Draft

seth vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Wed Mar 2 03:48:48 UTC 2011

On Tue, 2011-03-01 at 20:35 -0500, Brian Pepple wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> The Fedora Community Work Group has been working for some time on a Code
> of Conduct(1) and a Code of Conduct Enforcement Guideline(2), and we
> have gotten to a point where we would like some feedback from the
> community. We looked at some other communities code of conduct, and came
> to the conclusion that we wanted to keep our COC fairly brief, and not
> have it be so restrictive as to discourage people from wanting to
> contribute to project discussions.
>
> Here's the text for the Code of Conduct draft, so please make any
> constructive feedback you may have. I'll send a separate e-mail with the
> COC Enforcement draft text, so we can keep feedback for each on topic.
>
> === Code of Conduct Draft ===
> The Fedora community is made up of a mixture of professionals and
> volunteers from all over the world, working on every aspect of the
> distribution from coding through to marketing. Diversity is one of our
> huge strengths, but it can also lead to communication issues and
> unhappiness. To that end, we have a few ground rules that we ask people
> to adhere to when they're using project resources.
>
> This isn't an exhaustive list of things that you can't do. Rather, take
> it in the spirit in which it's intended - a guide to make it easier to
> be excellent to each other.
>
>       * Be considerate. Your work will be used by other people, and you
>         in turn will depend on the work of others. Any decision you take
>         will affect users and colleagues, and you should take those
>         consequences into account when making decisions.
>
>       * Be respectful. People volunteer to work on Fedora. Not all of us
>         will agree all the time, but disagreement is no excuse for poor
>         behaviour and poor manners. We might all experience some
>         frustration now and then, but we cannot allow that frustration
>         to turn into a personal attack. It's important to remember that
>         a community where people feel uncomfortable or threatened is not
>         a productive one. Members of the Fedora community should be
>         respectful when dealing with other contributors as well as with
>         people outside the Fedora community and with users of Fedora.
>
> When we disagree, we try to understand why. Disagreements, both social
> and technical, happen all the time and Fedora is no exception. It is
> important that we resolve disagreements and differing views
> constructively.
>
> Remember that we're different. The strength of Fedora comes from its
> varied community, people from a wide range of backgrounds. Different
> people have different perspectives on issues. Being unable to understand
> why someone holds a viewpoint doesn't mean that they're wrong. Don't
> forget that it is human to err and blaming each other doesn't get us
> anywhere, rather offer to help resolving issues and to help learn from
> mistakes.

multiple questions to ask:
 1. What happens if someone violates this code of conduct?
 2. what does this actually mean for red hat employees? Is it a new
requirement for employment?

--

-sv

"Oh judge! Your damn laws! The good people don't need them, and the bad
people don't obey them."

 - Ammon Hennacy
 (Voices from the Catholic Worker by Rosalie Riegle Troester, p.114)