Looking for feedback on Fedora Code of Conduct Draft

Christoph Wickert christoph.wickert at googlemail.com
Wed Mar 2 05:54:47 UTC 2011

First of all I't like to thank everybody who has been working in the
Code of Conduct. What I've seen looks good so far, however I have two
questions.

Am Dienstag, den 01.03.2011, 20:35 -0500 schrieb Brian Pepple:

>       * Be respectful. People volunteer to work on Fedora.

Wat about the people who do not work in Fedora voluntarily but because
they are paid? Do we set different moral standards for them?

>         Not all of us
>         will agree all the time, but disagreement is no excuse for poor
>         behaviour and poor manners. We might all experience some
>         frustration now and then, but we cannot allow that frustration
>         to turn into a personal attack. It's important to remember that
>         a community where people feel uncomfortable or threatened is not
>         a productive one. Members of the Fedora community should be
>         respectful when dealing with other contributors as well as with
>         people outside the Fedora community and with users of Fedora.

We are spending a lot of words on personal attacks and such, but I think
there are other ways of poor behavior: What about ignoring people or
their work? This isn't excellent ether and will not make us a productive
community ether.

Combining these two questions I'd like to add something: If you are in
control of people or their work, whether it is because you are elected,
appointed or employed or you just happen to do work that is
fundamentally important for others, you have a special responsibility
for others. Deal with their issues in time. Make decisions based on
facts and not your assumptions. If you have questions, don't be afraid
to ask. Please make sure that all your decisions are not only right for
you but also healthy for our community.

Regards,
Christoph