Gathering community feedback...

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at gmail.com
Wed Mar 2 15:18:25 UTC 2011

On 03/02/2011 02:15 PM, Josh Boyer wrote:
> That can be the end result, yes.  However, I think it is important to
> allow others to see the replies as it will often spark additional
> ideas, issues, criticisms in the areas being commented on.  Limiting
> the ability to see such feedback in real-time is not transparent.  If
> nothing else, allowing people to see the feedback might prevent
> multiple people commenting on the same issue the same way over and
> over.
>
> Your proposed solution doesn't explicitly mention the ability to see
> other people's feedback via the tool/service/whatever.  Maybe you
> already had this in mind, but I would suggest you add that as a
> requirement to it's design if something like this will go forward.

Ah yes you are correct and yes I had given it some thought but forgot to
mentioned it there basically gather the feedback in several stages and
make the feedback provided by users public after each stage ( or make it
present on another page but the participant can only comment once per
stage ) to comment on for further feedback ( next stage ) You can add
thumbs up/thumbs down, like/dislike ability to each ones response to
weed out bad responses and continue with good ones but general
discussion about each response be keep out..

I would think a key element while gathering feedback from thousands of
users is to "control the noise" ( which should lead to positive result )
as opposed to be "controlled by the noise" ( which leads to negative
result ) hence a controlled "stage" approach with x period apart would
be effective which cools down all the participant and gives them time to
rationally review the response from others and reply in a constructive
manner on the next "stage".

To simplify/clarify or putting the problem we are faced with in a
different perspective depending how you look at it.

Imagine stuffing thousand of peoples in the same warehouse giving them a
topic to discuss about and at the same time trying to make out and hear
what each of them has to say about the topic.

The answer to that is simple you cant hence the workable approach to
that problem as I see ( simplified version ) is to get everyone to write
down their response which then is  gathered and the good responses are
put on the white board and the bad responses on the black board repeat
until you end up with something concrete that everybody likes.

If you have better approach to the problem we are faced with then by all
means share it.

JBG