Looking for feedback on Fedora COC Enforcement Draft

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Wed Mar 2 16:07:59 UTC 2011

On Wed, 02 Mar 2011 11:52:45 +0530
Rahul Sundaram <metherid at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 03/02/2011 07:10 AM, Brian Pepple wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Here is the text for our proposed Code of Conduct Enforcement
> > draft(1) that we (Fedora Community Workgroup) would like to get
> > constructive feedback from the community about.
>
> I have a question related to logistics that I pointed out earlier.
> Once there is consensus, there should be a step where every
> contributor agrees to the COC explicitly.  I think the best place for
> this is to enforce it via the Fedora Account System and preferably
> club it with the CLA change.   Is there agreement on that?   Also the
> consequence of violating this wilfully should be explicit.

I disagree with this. ;)

I think forcing everyone to agree to the COC explicity will have a
number of ill effects and is not desireable.

First, the COC (if approved/put in place) would cover "ground rules
that we ask people to adhere to when they're using project resources".
This means EVERYONE using project resources should follow the COC.
If we explicitly ask everyone to agree to it it opens up lots of issues
like:

* People who have not accepted it will say "That doesn't apply to me".

* Some people will resent being forced to sign something, even if they
  agree with it or will follow it.

* It implies that you must agree to this to participate at all in the
  community, which if you are using project resources would make sense,
  but could get expanded beyond our project. (Ie, say someone "signs"
  the COC and then has a poor interaction in another community
  entirely and that community calls them on our COC).

So, my strong opinion is that we do not require any explicit signing of
this, instead we note that it's the case for "everyone who is using
Fedora project resources".

kevin