Looking for feedback on Fedora COC Enforcement Draft

Brian Pepple bpepple at fedoraproject.org
Wed Mar 2 18:14:37 UTC 2011

On Wed, 2011-03-02 at 09:07 -0700, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> I think forcing everyone to agree to the COC explicity will have a
> number of ill effects and is not desireable.

<snip>

> * It implies that you must agree to this to participate at all in the
>   community, which if you are using project resources would make sense,
>   but could get expanded beyond our project. (Ie, say someone "signs"
>   the COC and then has a poor interaction in another community
>   entirely and that community calls them on our COC).

This seems like a fairly unlikely scenario to me (or maybe I'm just not
quite understanding what you are saying here). Has any other community
with a code of conduct had this happen, or is this just a theoretical
scenario?

> So, my strong opinion is that we do not require any explicit signing of
> this, instead we note that it's the case for "everyone who is using
> Fedora project resources".

Ok, I disagree with you on this, Kevin. ;) I think by having the COC
acknowledgment be a part of the CLA change, we benefit by having:

     1. All of the community be aware of it since all project members
        will need to sign the CLA - i.e. not being lost in the noise of
        the mailing lists, and the void of the wiki as so many other
        things tend to be.
     2. Saying as a community that it is *important* to us as a project
        that everyone be treated in a respectful and considerate manner.

Later,
/B
--
Brian Pepple <bpepple at fedoraproject.org>

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Bpepple
BD5E 6F9E 8688 E668 8F5B  CBDE 326A E936 810C C15E