Discussion regarding Community Working Group and/or Ombudsman

Brian Pepple bpepple at fedoraproject.org
Wed May 11 01:10:13 UTC 2011

On Tue, 2011-05-10 at 18:07 -0600, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
> On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 17:17, Brian Pepple <bpepple at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> >
> > When the CWG was formed, it given a one year term with the initial
> > goal of determining whether a COC/enforcement guidelines were needed,
> > and then afterwards work on helping to maintain a friendly and
> > welcoming community. Sadly, somewhere along line, the Board felt the
> > CWG wasn't need any longer and started discussing disbanding it.
>
> Hmm I do not remember a 1 year term being set.. mainly because there
> were several people who complained that we "the board" were either
> abrogating our duties by setting up yet another layer of bureaucracy
> or that the CWG would become the Fedora Board's Secret Police. Most of
> the concerns voiced after the enforcement policy was published were
> the same.
>
> Because of this my understanding that the CWG was to make
> recommendations on what the COC/enforcement should be, and the board
> would then work from there to charter the recommendations into the
> final working body.

Well, a quick Google search shows that the 10/26/10 Board summary states
that the CWG has a 1 year term. And frankly, it would have really been
nice to have known beforehand, that the CWG had this little support from
the Board because I would not have bothered wasting my time working on
this.

This is really just another example of why I feel the Board is the
*last* place enforcement decisions should be made. The group does well
with "Big Picture" ideas, but has a rather poor history of handling
detail-orientated decisions.

Later,
/B
--
Brian Pepple <bpepple at fedoraproject.org>

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Bpepple
BD5E 6F9E 8688 E668 8F5B  CBDE 326A E936 810C C15E