Recommend 64-bit download by default

Neville A. Cross neville at taygon.com
Sat Nov 12 20:07:15 UTC 2011

On Sat, 2011-11-12 at 16:09 +0000, Frank Murphy wrote:
> On 10/11/11 06:31, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > The default download in Fedora Project website is still 32-bit and I
> > think it is time we moved the recommended download to be 64-bit.
>
> Is there any stats\demographics to show which is the more wanted
> (for want of a better word)
>
> Currently in my Azureus I see:
> 16:00 gmt
> x86_64 seeds 733 peers 157
> i386    ""   480  ""   140
>

>From freemedia stand point I have done a quick check.
Fixed tickets with keyword Fedora 15 for Live i686, KDE i686 and DVD
i386 add up to 101 requests.
Fixed tickets with keyword Fedora 15 for Live x86_64, KDE x86_64 and DVD
x86_64 add up to 30 requests.
22.9% were 64bits

Fixed tickets with keyword Fedora 14 for Live i686, KDE i686 and DVD
i386 add up to 357 requests.
Fixed tickets with keyword Fedora 14 for Live x86_64, KDE x86_64 and DVD
x86_64 add up to 155 requests.
30.27% were 64 bits

For Fedora 14 there were more request for 64bits than we had for Fedora
15. One explanation can be that Freemedia is dealing in part with people
that has problems with internet access and probably they are running on
old hardware. As internet is penetrating more, those who still can not
download are people with fewer resources. But all that is guess work as
we don't have profiles for people requesting freemedia .

This shows also that we (as freemedia team) have send less media for the
F15 time, but that is beside the point.

In any case, there is the data for what is worth in this debate. I don't
think that if the board said that default will be 64bits it will change
much the day to day work of freemedia.

Best regards

--
Neville A. Cross