Fesco membership policies

David Nalley david at gnsa.us
Mon Nov 14 17:03:03 UTC 2011

On Mon, Nov 14, 2011 at 11:19 AM, Peter Robinson <pbrobinson at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 14, 2011 at 4:15 PM, Matthew Garrett <mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org> wrote:
>> Something that was brought up at the last fesco meeting is that
>> fesco membership is currently restricted to members of the packaging
>> group. That's arguably overly restrictive - fesco is intended to be the
>> body with technical oversight over the entire project, not merely
>> packaging, and in that situation it seems odd to restrict membership to
>> a subset of the people under fesco's pervue.
>>
>> There's a few things we can do here. We can keep the status quo. We can
>> add new groups such as qa. Or we can open it to the entire project and
>> just assume that the electorate will ensure that nobody inappropriate
>> gets elected.
>>
>> Anyone have opinions on what we should be doing here?
>
> Sounds reasonable to me, is changes to FESCo something that needs to
> be approved by the Board? (adding f-a-b mailing list for
> clarification).

This is an election policy - and traditionally those have completely
been within the purview of the body to which they apply(e.g. this is
all FESCo's bailiwick, no need for the Board to meddle)
I would caution about imminent changes to an election policy now that
the process has already begun. (e.g., nominations are now over, so
changing the rules at this point about who is eligible should be
carefully considered, perhaps any changes put in place could have an
effective date after the current elections cycle.) ((actually -
meta-note here - FESCo doesn't follow the same nomination period that
the other elected bodies do, per their election policy they can
nominate themselves up to 3 days before voting commences[0], so
perhaps that isn't too painful to change - however, I don't think
anyone has actually acted according to those guidelines in some time,
perhaps that should also be considered for change by FESCo as well)

--David

[0] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FESCo_election_policy#Candidates