Fesco membership policies

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Mon Nov 14 21:36:44 UTC 2011

On 11/14/2011 05:50 PM, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 14, 2011 at 12:31:21PM -0500, Clyde E. Kunkel wrote:
>
>> Also, how about a non-technical member from the general user community?
Very strong no from me.

FESCO is a technical committee, supposed to provide strategic technical
decisions and guidance - It is NOT meant to to deal with other topics,
such as e.g. politics or marketing.

>>    Should provide a nice balance to the technical side.
>
> Fesco exists to make technical decisions.
Exactly.

> The people who are members
> should be competent to make those decisions based on a thorough
> understanding of the issue, so I don't think having non-technical
> membership is ideal.
Exactly.

> However, people (technical or otherwise) should
> feel able to provide their views in either the fesco ticketing system or
> at a meeting.
That a completely different question, which I don't consider to be
related to your initial question/remark, but to be a detail of FESCO's
"daily routine"/"channels of communication".

> I'd hope that we're not making decisions that are seen as
> user-hostile, but if we are we really would be interested in hearing
> about it.
Well, if you ask me, ... FESCO has a long history of having drawn
decisions which do not match with my vision of "a community driven Linux
distro" and my hopes on Fedora. But that's just my individual view.

Ralf