Improving the Spins process

Jared K. Smith jsmith at fedoraproject.org
Tue Oct 11 14:01:38 UTC 2011

As you're probably aware, the Fedora Board has tackled the topic of
the spins process a couple of times over the past year.  While I'm
confident we're moving in the right direction, the process still
hasn't been defined as well as I would like.  In an effort to help
clarify some of the issues at hand, Christoph Wickert (our current
Spins Wrangler) kicked off a great discussion at FUDCon Milan, and a
couple of us from the Board were involved in that discussion.  I'd
like to continue that discussion as a Board and here on the advisory
board list as well.  Christoph's slides (and proposal) are at
http://cwickert.fedorapeople.org/presentations/New_Spins_Process.odp.

The Board will be discussing Christoph's slides in our public IRC
meeting today, but I'm also interested in getting feedback from those
who may not be able to attend the IRC meeting.

Some of the goals of Christoph's proposal include

* Move from using wiki categories to trac tickets for managing the
state of proposed spins.  (Several spins have fallen through the
cracks because of the way categories work in the wiki.)
* Establish a more concrete schedule for the spins milestones
* Establish clear guidelines for the role and responsibility of the
Spins Wrangler

I encourage you to look over the slides at the link above, and let us
know your thoughts on the issue.

--
Jared Smith
Fedora Project Leader