Improving the Spins process

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Thu Oct 13 20:19:51 UTC 2011

On Thu, 13 Oct 2011 11:28:01 -0400
"Jared K. Smith" <jsmith at fedoraproject.org> wrote:

...snip...

> 2) While discussing some of the shortcomings of using wiki categories
> to track progress on Spins, we also talked about the Features process
> and how it too might benefit from using a ticketing system to track
> progress of features.  As I understand it, Robyn (as the Fedora
> Program Manager) already opens a FESCo ticket for each feature (so
> that it's on the FESCo agenda), but uses wiki categories to track the
> state (proposed, accepted, rejected, etc.) of each feature.  Is there
> interest in moving the features process over to using tickets for
> keeping track of the feature state, and keeping the discussion about
> the feature in one easy-to-find location, rather than having it
> scattered across talk pages, wiki pages, and FESCo meeting minutes?

I don't have any great objection to doing this, but...

* current trac on fedorahosted is pretty old and limited.
Not sure it's workflow would work for something complex like this.
(yes, we are trying hard still to get it upgraded. Hopefully soon).

* We would need to adjust it perhaps so it didn't send a flood of
  emails to all fesco members (by default they are cc'ed on tickets)
  when a ticket just changed state in a way that didn't require any
  fesco interaction.

* Might be good to look at this as part of a features process
  revamp. ;)

kevin