Renaming F16 codename to "Ritchie"

inode0 inode0 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 14 02:22:06 UTC 2011

On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 7:52 PM, Tim Burke <tburke at redhat.com> wrote:
> Great concept!
> Given that its too disruptive for F16, what about considering it for F17
> instead. Do people think that the prominence of a release name, albeit
> delayed, is more of a commemoration than an honorarium in
> relnotes/announcement?

I would really like to see whatever we do done for F16 to be timely.
There really isn't any requirement that the theming match the release
name, just a tradition. If it isn't too late to just change the
release name within F16 I certainly would not object to doing that,
although I think a public statement via the release announcement would
be nice too as that would, I hope, keep Ritchie's memory in the public
eye and remind people of his importance to our community.

Perhaps the board could call a quick open forum to discuss this, so we
could find out what our options really are at this stage of the F16
cycle?

John