Renaming F16 codename to "Ritchie"

Jaroslav Reznik jreznik at redhat.com
Fri Oct 14 06:48:55 UTC 2011

----- Original Message -----
> On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 09:22:06PM -0500, inode0 wrote:
> > On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 7:52 PM, Tim Burke <tburke at redhat.com>
> > wrote:
> > > Great concept!
> > > Given that its too disruptive for F16, what about considering it
> > > for F17
> > > instead. Do people think that the prominence of a release name,
> > > albeit
> > > delayed, is more of a commemoration than an honorarium in
> > > relnotes/announcement?
> >
> > I would really like to see whatever we do done for F16 to be
> > timely.
> > There really isn't any requirement that the theming match the
> > release
> > name, just a tradition. If it isn't too late to just change the
> > release name within F16 I certainly would not object to doing that,
> > although I think a public statement via the release announcement
> > would
> > be nice too as that would, I hope, keep Ritchie's memory in the
> > public
> > eye and remind people of his importance to our community.
> >
> > Perhaps the board could call a quick open forum to discuss this, so
> > we
> > could find out what our options really are at this stage of the F16
> > cycle?
> >
> Probably also needs to get passed to Legal.  I know the Board has
> a pre-filter that's roughly "no living famous people".. Not sure with
> someone recently deceased if they'll worry about next of kin taking
> offense
> or something.

Toshio, that's my main concern - don't understand me wrong, without
Dennis Ritchie, we wouldn't be here, there wouldn't be Fedora etc.,
but after S. J. passed away, KHL Lokomotiv jet crash (you should
see squares in main cities full of crying people), I became somehow
immune to this fight for who's mourning more :( Please, let's to
it in more piet way.

Wp does not have to be tied to code name, in case we go with Ritchie
codename, I'd skip Verne as F16 is going to be branded in Verne
style.

Jaroslav