Renaming F16 codename to "Ritchie"

Buddhika Kurera bckurera at fedoraproject.org
Fri Oct 14 11:25:10 UTC 2011

Hello Folks,

I have read the thread, exactly this seems as a good idea.

Of course we must pay the tribute because he did such a service to mankind.
Kernals are written most of the using C, therefore obviously the
inventor(one of) should be treated fairly and should pay the tribute.

But the question is How we should pay our tribute? Changing F16 code name or
F17 or F18 as some raised.

WE have a proper set of guidelines for code name, well established and
accepted by the community. So are we going to break the agreement. In future
again an eminent will dead (lest call someone very related as DMR) then are
we going to change the code name again to pay tribute? Due to the action we
are taking now, may be it will create issues for the entire life time of the
project.

What I see is, we should pay our tribute, but
in another way which is feasible without breaking agreed and established
rules. For example we can include this in RNotes, Announcements, can be
mentioned in boot screen with a message, Issue a press by FPL, mention in
website, if possible can be mentioned on media, media sleeves and many
creative ways that community suggests.

Therefore I think the best thing to do it leave the code name as it is, the
rules related to the name will govern that. Beside will try to figure out
what is the alternative action as mentioned in the above list.

Personally when we have a proper system, I feel change the name is not the
best way to pay the tribute, I wonder where it stops if we start it here.

CONCLUSION: The community has agreed on code name rule so dont ask to break
it, try to find a best way to pay the tribute while making sure that the
agreed rules are as they are.

--
Regards,
*Buddhike Chandradeepa Kurera(bckurera)*

*Email*: bckurera at fedoraproject.org | *IRC*: bckurera
*
*